So who is this weirdo?

Hi! My name is Liam and I am a beginner birder living in Glen Massey. I first became interested in birds after a 6-month missions trip to Papua New Guinea in 2016, and my interest grew from there! I am now a member of the Ornithological Society of New Zealand and Young Birders New Zealand (OSNZ and YBNZ respectively ). So now, I'm starting this blog so I can share my birding adventures with anyone who will listen ☺.

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Lots of rain...

This morning I woke up - not to the sound of my alarm telling me to get out of bed and see some birds, but to the pouring tropical rain and howling winds I had been dreading. My disappointment lasted a whole minute before I was back asleep. An hour later, all was quiet again and we set off despite the ominous clouds. We got Dad to drop us off on a road between two mountains and elected to walk back. Hoping for Cook Islands Fruit-Doves and Rarotonga Monarchs, only Pacific Imperial-Pigeons broke the myna monotony. Oh well.


Like the tourists we were, we joined a lagoon cruise and over one of the motu (islets) flew a single Red-Footed Booby - our first for the trip. Another bird down! Funnily enough, this was the only new bird for the trip - our early morning was fruit(dove)-less. The tour also allowed us to see our first white-phase Reef Heron, as well as tattlers, noddies and terns.


The rest of the day was spent relaxing, hiding from the rain inside, playing board games or watching the phosphorescent waves crash offshore.

Wandering Tattler

No comments:

Post a Comment