So who is this weirdo?

Hi! My name is Liam and I am a beginner birder living in Glen Massey. I first became interested in birds after a 6-month missions trip to Papua New Guinea in 2016, and my interest grew from there! I am now a member of the Ornithological Society of New Zealand and Young Birders New Zealand (OSNZ and YBNZ respectively ). So now, I'm starting this blog so I can share my birding adventures with anyone who will listen ☺.

Saturday 6 May 2017

Maungatautari

Hello everyone,
I've just realised my Blogger app failed to post my last thing, which is my excuse for the delay. Not only that, but school has been in full swing and I have had very little time to actually go anywhere interesting. After an almost fruitless holiday yielding one lifer (Helmeted Guineafowl at Taitua Arboretum), I had given up hope on birding over this break. Thankfully, on Monday the 1st of April, Mum was kind enough to take me and my (non-birder) brother to Maungatautari on our teacher only day. So for most of the morning we were walking around in restored native bush inside a predator-proof fence. Despite the relatively late start of 9:30am, the bird life was still pretty good, with tomtits and robins abundant, plenty of stitchbirds that refused to be seen, and a few kaka. My highlights were about 5 saddlebacks in the canopy, which was a new bird for the year, and a falcon duelling with a flock of introduced magpies over the forest. This visit brings my Maunga life list to 27.


A very confiding robin - this was the only usable photo due to lighting

Also, expect a post on the Ngaruawahia Oxidation Ponds, which was the one which failed to send.
Happy birding!

No comments:

Post a Comment